Re: [GENERAL] Locking in PostgreSQL?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Locking in PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:26:45AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >>Unless you specifically ask for it postgresql doesn't lock any
> >>rows when you update data.
> >>
> >Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows
> >matching the WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.
>
> Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then.... My
> understanding is that unless you do a select ... for update then
> update the rows will not be locked .

I think it comes down to what you mean by RowExclusiveLock. In MVCC,
writers don't block readers, so even if someone executes an update on a
row, readers (SELECT statements) will not be blocked.

So it's not a lock as such, more a "I've updated this row, go find the
new version if that's appropriate for your snapshot".

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения