Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:
> Ken Johanson <pg-user@kensystem.com> writes:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >> I think it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. The primary reason being
> >> that then you can no longer use indexes to search the catalog. Which
>
> > I take a different opinion on this:
>
> > -*If* the option to turn on case-insenetive behavior were selectable at
> > the DB or session level, the existing apps could continue to use the
> > case sensitve mode and be completely unaffected.
>
> Ken, you clearly fail to understand the point being made above.  This is
> not something that is "selectable at the session level".  It won't work
> from either a functional or performance perspective.
>
> The real bottom line, though, is that this community has little respect
> for proposals that involve moving away from the SQL spec rather than
> closer to it; and that's what you're asking us to do.  The spec is not
> at all vague about the case-sensitivity of identifiers.  Now certainly
> we are not doing exactly what the spec says, but what you ask is even
> less like the spec's requirements.

I think there are two major issues here:
o  if you quote identifiers that have any upper-case characters,   do it both at table creation and useo  display of
non-quotedidentifiers is lower-case

I think we are OK making people either always quote, or always not
quote.  What we don't currently have a good answer for is people wanting
the identifiers displayed using the original case.  You can use quotes
all the time of you want such display, but it is a pain.  I think this
is the crux of the complaints.

Saving the case of the original creation and displaying that does work,
but then it isn't clear if the identifier needs quotes (is the
upper-case real or just for display).  This gets us into even more
confusion.

Can someone can think of an answer to all this?

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: