Re: consistent random order

От Andreas Kretschmer
Тема Re: consistent random order
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Jeff Herrin <jeff@alternateimage.com> schrieb:

> I am returning results ordered randomly using 'order by random()'. My issue has
> to do with page numbers in our web application. When I hit the 2nd page and
> retrieve results with an offset, ordering by random() isn't really what I want
> since I will often receive results that were on the 1st page (they get re-
> randomized).
>
> I'm looking for a way to order in a controled random order. Maybe a UDF.

I think you are searching for CURSORs.

18:25 < akretschmer> ??cursor
18:25 < rtfm_please> For information about cursor
18:25 < rtfm_please> see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-cursors.html
18:25 < rtfm_please> or http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-declare.html

With a CURSOR, you get one result-set and can walk through this result.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: