Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> marketing is not always "swear-word" :) We live in real world and
> there are many situations where marketing is the deciding vote.

I don't know about you, but I market PostgreSQL partially using

1. sane design, not driven by random demands
2. extensibility

which would be completely contradicted by moving any module into core
for "marketing" reasons.

> Not
> all are Tom Lane, who could convince customer saying there is no
> difference between contrib module and core feature, or that
> PostgreSQL is a mature database with fts add-on, which could be
> installed separately (with supersuser rights).

It's not like PostgreSQL is the first software product in the world to
provide a module or plugin mechanism.  (It is incidentally the first
DBMS to do so.)  People who refuse to understand that are idiots, and
we don't design for idiots.

--
Peter Eisentraut