Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3

От Stephen Harris
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:49:39PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> writes:
> > However, it seems the signal wasn't sent at all.
>
> Now that I think about it, the behavior of system() is predicated on the
> assumption that SIGINT and SIGQUIT originate with the tty driver and are
> broadcast to all members of the session's process group --- so the

> This does not apply to signals originated by the postmaster --- it
> doesn't even know that the child process is doing a system(), much less
> have any way to signal the grandchild.  Ugh.

Why not, after calling fork() create a new process group with setsid() and
then instead of killing the recovery thread, kill the whole process group
(-PID rather than PID)?  Then every process (the recovery thread, the
system, the script, any child of the script) will all receive the signal.

--

rgds
Stephen

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3