Re: On what we want to support: travel?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 04:30:45PM +0100, Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher wrote:
> Without a large user base, it is hard for a project to survive. See
> all those dead projects at sourceforge and co.

It is very important for us, in this conversation, to understand
something: large user base != people who make a lot of noise on
Slashdot (or wherever you like).

I think there are very good reasons to believe that PostgreSQL _does_
now have a large user base.  There are some very significant
companies -- as someone recent pointed out, one of them has a much
larger revenue stream than Oracle Corp -- who have invested in
PostgreSQL.  There are some companies for whom PostgreSQL is now a
core part of their now-profitable business.  There is also an active
user and development community.  These may be areas of relatively
low-profile, quiet growth.  If you've ever had a lawn with creeping
charlie in it, though, you will realise that low-profile, quiet
growth does not mean that it is not pervasive and significant.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Windows is a platform without soap, where rats run around
in open sewers.
        --Daniel Eran

Сообщение: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Сообщение: Re: On what we want to support: travel?