От: Alvaro Herrera
Тема: Re: Is ODBC that slow?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Is ODBC that slow?  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Merlin Moncure", )
 Re: Is ODBC that slow?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
  Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Merlin Moncure", )
   Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Is ODBC that slow?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Is ODBC that slow?  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Alvaro Herrera <> wrote:

> >Try Command Prompt's ODBC driver.  Lately it has been measured to be
> >consistently faster than psqlODBC.
> >
> >http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng
>
> just curious: what was the reasoning to reimplement the protocol stack
> in odbcng? the mainline odbc driver went in the other direction.

Yeah, but they had to back-off from that plan, and AFAIK it only uses
libpq for the auth stuff and then switch to dealing with the protocol
directly.

I don't know what the reasoning was though :-)  I guess Joshua would
know.  I'm not involved in that project.  I only know that recently a
user posted some measurements showing that ODBCng was way slower that
psqlODBC, and it was discovered that it was using v3 Prepare/Bind/
Execute, which was problematic performance-wise due to the planner
issues with that.  So AFAIK it currently parses the statements
internally before passing them to the server.