Re: c function returning high resolution timestamp

От Ron Peterson
Тема Re: c function returning high resolution timestamp
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:32:05PM +0200, Andreas Seltenreich wrote:
> Ron Peterson writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 04:43:40PM -0400, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > I'm pretty close, but I'm still not understanding something about
> > PostgreSQL's internal timestamp representation.  If I do 'select
> > now();', I get a return value with microsecond resolution, which would
> > seem to indicate that internally, PostgreSQL is using an INT64 value
> > rather than a float to hold the timestamp.
>
> Floating point timestamps /do/ have microsecond resolution over a
> limited range:
>
> ,----[ <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html> ]
> | Microsecond precision is achieved for dates within a few years of
> | 2000-01-01, but the precision degrades for dates further away. When
> | timestamp values are stored as eight-byte integers (a compile-time
> | option), microsecond precision is available over the full range of
> | values.
> `----

Ahah!  Pghghtht, I've read that page many times, but never looking for
programming information.  Not a problem with the way the docs are
organized, just a problem with the way my brain is organized.  Thanks
for taking the time to help a slow learner.

Working code is posted here:

http://www.yellowbank.com/code/PostgreSQL/y_uuid/

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/

Сообщение: Re: why not kill -9 postmaster
Сообщение: Re: why not kill -9 postmaster