Re: Hints proposal

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: Hints proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 05:25:31PM -0700, Craig A. James wrote:
> So my question is: Is there any argument that can be made to persuade those
> of you who are volunteering your time on the optimizer to even consider a
> HINTS proposal?  Has all this discussion changed your perspective on 2(c),
> and why it really matters to some of us?  Are we just wasting our time, or
> is this a fruitful discussion?

They're waiting for an idea that captures their imagination. So far,
it seems like a re-hashing of old ideas that have been previously shot
down, none of which seem overly imaginative, or can be shown to
provide significant improvement short term or long term... :-)

Haha. That's my take on it. Sorry if it is harsh.

To get very competent people to volunteer their time, you need to make
them believe. They need to dream about it, and wake up the next morning
filled with a desire to try out some of their ideas.

You need to brain wash them... :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

Сообщение: Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows
Сообщение: Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows