Re: List of supported 64bit OS

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: List of supported 64bit OS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:46:53PM +0300, Stanislaw Tristan wrote:
> Thanks for the answer!
> We'll order a 2 x Opteron2xxx series (Dual Core) and the memory will be
> 16-32 Gb. This server is only for DB - non other services such as hosting,
> mail and so on.

You didn't discuss your disc configuration or interface.  That's
going to be an important component.  Think about it carefully.

> I'm not system integrator, but the project manager and interesting about:
> - existing the free OS that ideally supports hardware above in conjunction
> with PostgreSQL 8.x that will use dual core and big memory

I would look at FreeBSD, myself.  But look _very carefully_ at the
hardware it actually supports before buying anything.  People get
burned all the time by buying hardware that is not well supported,
and then having to go through contortions to make the operating
system work well.  Choose the OS first, then buy the hardware to
suit, not the other way 'round.  (You do this, effectively, when you
buy Sun or IBM RS/6000 gear, don't forget.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
        --Damien Katz