Re: more anti-postgresql FUD

От Roman Neuhauser
Тема Re: more anti-postgresql FUD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
# mmoncure@gmail.com / 2006-10-10 14:16:19 -0400:
> FUD from another open source project is really poor form, particulary
> when not in competing segements where a little bit of competitive
> rivalry is expected.

    OMG WTF what FUD???

# mmoncure@gmail.com / 2006-10-10 13:55:57 -0400:
> http://www.zabbix.com/manual/v1.1/install.php

>      recent benchmarks using ZABBIX clearly show that PostgreSQL
> (7.1.x) is at least 10 times slower than MySQL (3.23.29)
>
>      Note: These results are predictable. ZABBIX server processes use
> simple SQL statements like single row INSERT, UPDATE and simple SELECT
> operators. In such environment, use of advanced SQL engine (like
> PostgreSQL) is overkill.

    That's true.

>    * no need to constantly run resource-hungry command "vacuum" for MySQL

    Last time I used MySQL that was true.

    Some time ago I did a simplistic, but quite telling, test.

    I had a large (several milion rows), indexed table, same data, in
    MySQL (4.0.x) and PostgreSQL (late 7.4), on the same RHEL or FreeBSD
    (don't remember) machine. Walking over the table with

    SELECT * FROM TABLE ORDER BY pk LIMIT 10 OFFSET N;

    or the MySQL equivalent, MySQL was several times faster than
    PostgreSQL, but the times were getting longer and longer....
    As N grew in increments of 10, it took ages for MySQL to return
    the rows. PostgreSQL... Well, it was as "slow" with N=100000 as it was
    with N=0.

>    * MySQL is used as a primary development platform.

    How does *this* qualify as FUD? Or are *you* spreading FUD to scare
    people from even mentioning the software?

--
I don't like MySQL. I hate it when people put cheerleading where reason
should prevail.