Re: Hints proposal

От Richard Broersma Jr
Тема Re: Hints proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> By the way, wouldn't it be possible if the planner learned from a query
> execution, so it would know if a choice for a specific plan or estimate
> was actually correct or not for future reference? Or is that in the line
> of DB2's complexity and a very hard problem and/or would it add too much
> overhead?

Just thinking out-loud here...

Wow, a learning cost based planner sounds a-lot like problem for control & dynamical systems
theory.  As I understand it, much of the advice given for setting PostgreSQL's tune-able
parameters are from "RULES-OF-THUMB."  I am sure that effect on server performance from all of the
parameters could be modeled and an adaptive feed-back controller could be designed to tuned these
parameters as demand on the server changes.

Al-thought, I suppose that a controller like this would have limited success since some of the
most affective parameters are non-run-time tune-able.

In regards to query planning, I wonder if there is way to model a controller that could
adjust/alter query plans based on a comparison of expected and actual query execution times.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.