Re: postgresql.conf shared buffers

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: postgresql.conf shared buffers
Дата
Re: postgresql.conf shared buffers  ("Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Please take a look at
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html first.

In a nutshell, set shared_buffers to between 10% and 25% of your memory
if it's a server. And increase estimated_cache_size to something close
to how much memory you have.

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:50:42PM +0530, km wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> - What does the shared_buffers setting do ?
> - Does it mean that that the postgres cannot access most of the physical RAM but limited to the memory setting
(shared_buffers)specified ?
> - How do i relate and set max_connections and shared_buffers?
> - Is there a thumb rule to determine shared_buffers from max connections ?
> - I see , by default max_connections set to 100 and shared_buffers to 1000 - does 1000 mean 1000 bytes or KB ?
> - Also postgres will not start if the shared_buffers value exceeds the kernel setting of SHMMAX. do i need to
recompilethe kernel to increase this value ? or is there any workaround ?

От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: Help required
От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: Problem with a date when restoring on postgresql 7.4.9 : date/time field value out of range