Re: any hope for my big query?

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: any hope for my big query?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thursday 28 September 2006 17:18, Ben wrote:

> explain select
>      distinct public.album.id
> from
>      public.album,public.albumjoin,public.track,umdb.node
> where
>      node.dir=2811
>      and albumjoin.album = public.album.id
>      and public.albumjoin.track = public.track.id
>      and levenshtein(substring(public.track.name for 75),
>          substring(node.file for 75)) <= 10
>      and public.album.id in
>          (select album from albumjoin group by album having count(*) between
15 and 25)
> group by public.album.id
> having count(*) >= 5;

If I'm reading this right, you want all the albums with 15-25 entries in
album join having 5 or more tracks that are (soundex type) similar to
other nodes.  Knowing that, you can also try something like this:

select a.album
  from (select album,track from albumjoin group by album having count(1)
between 15 and 25) a
  join public.track t on (a.track = t.id)
  join umdb.node n on (levenshtein(substring(t.name for 75),
substring(n.file for 75)) < 9)
 where n.dir = 2811
 group by a.album
 having count(1) > 4;

This removes two of your tables, since you were only interested in
albums with 15-25 albumjoins, and weren't actually using any album data
other than the ID, which albumjoin supplies.  Your subselect is now an
integral part of the whole query, being treated like a temp table that
only supplies album IDs with 15-25 albumjoins.  From there, add on the
track information, and use that to restrict the matching nodes.  Your
explain should be better with the above.

Just remember with the levenshtein in there, you're forcing a sequence
scan on the node table.  Depending on how big that table is, you may
not be able to truly optimize this.

--

Shaun Thomas
Database Administrator