Re: On future conferences

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: On future conferences
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:35:37PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> I would speculate that the typical airfare cost for someone in the US
> traveling to YYZ would be around $500, based on that being what I paid for my
> flight out of Tampa.  It would have been more if I had left from Gainesville,
> but probably cheaper for others who might have been able to pick up a direct
> flight.  That said the cost to fly from Florida to Portland also tends to be
> around $500, assuming you do enough bargain hunting for a good fare.

I suspect that airfare to pretty much any hub city in the US will be
approximately $500.

> > At any rate, we can really only speculate as to what the TOTAL travel
> > spending was, as nobody was expected to report that.
> >
> > But that *total* does represent a legitimate view on what had to be
> > spent on the conference, and the shape of the equivalent "total travel
> > cost" would be entirely different for a set of regional conferences.
> >
> > Whether we can measure it or not, it's still relevant, as it
> > represents amounts that people have to commit to in order for
> > conferences to be attended.
>
> Part of the issue might be how big you consider the regions to be.  IMO if you
> do one in NYC or Philidelphia, people from Georgia/Florida/Alabama will not
> see that as being in there region. If you do it in Atlanta, I'm not sure if
> you even get enough people to go (the south east doesn't seem to be a hotbed
> of postgresql activity).  It might work in someplace like Atlanta since it is
> a major hub, so maybe you can get airfare under $100 which should be doable.
> (Though don't forget hotel).

I suspect trying to hold it near a group of users only really matters if
you're trying to attract a lot of those users, because pretty much
everyone else will have to travel.

(Just to be clear, I'm in no way speaking for my employer here.)

My point about corporate sponsor costs still stands... if there are two
US conferences and a sponsor wants to be at both they now have to either
double the amount they're spending or divide it up between both
conferences, which means sending fewer people and sponsoring less money.
I think people are arguing that dividing the money up is OK because the
travel sponsorships will cost less, but I don't think that's the case.

Putting the money aside, having 2 US conferences means roughly 2x the
amount of planning legwork, which is a huge consideration.

Now, 'regional' as in the Americas (combined or separate), Europe and
Japan/Asia is somewhat of a different story. Flying across either ocean
is extremely expensive, so it severely limits people from outside North
America when attending a conference in Canada. And you're somewhat less
likely to have sponsor overlap, since very few companies have a large
presence outside their 'home continent'. And I think there's enough
community members in those different areas to support the planning an
execution of a conference.