Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Periodically taking longer is probably a case of some other process in
the database holding a lock you need, or otherwise bogging the system
down, especially if you're always running acctmessage from the same
connection (because the query plans shouldn't be changing then). I'd
suggest looking at what else is happening at the same time.

Also, it's more efficient to operate on chunks of data rather than one
row at a time whenever possible. If you have to log each row
individually, consider simply logging them into a table, and then
periodically pulling data out of that table to do additional processing
on it.

BTW, your detection of duplicates/row existance has a race condition.
Take a look at example 36-1 at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING
for a better way to handle it.