Re: How to autoincrement a primary key...

От Aarni Ruuhimäki
Тема Re: How to autoincrement a primary key...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Saturday 23 September 2006 01:12, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Richard Broersma Jr wrote on 22.09.2006 21:25:
> >> I am sure this is simple, but I don't get it. I am new to PGSQL, coming
> >> from MySQL - in mysql, you can autoincrement the primary key; in
> >> postgre, I am not sure how to do this. I have read the documentation,
> >> and tried "nextval" as the default - I have searched for the datatype
> >> SERIAL, but I am using navicat and this datatype is not supported. Can
> >> someone tell me how to do this - I just want the integer value for a
> >> primary key to autoincrement by one.
> >
> > CREATE TABLE bar (id    SERIAL PRIMARY KEY);
> >

> > Is just shorthand notation for:
> >
> > CREATE SEQUENCE foo START 1;
> > CREATE TABLE bar (id integer PRIMARY KEY DEFAULT nextval('foo'));
>
> Well the shorthand notation has a minor gotcha: you cannot drop the
> sequence that has been created automatically. Only if you drop the column
> itself. Should not be a problem, but it is a difference between a SERIAL
> PRIMARY KEY definition and the "verbose" mode
>
> Thomas

>        match

Verbosily you can have even more control over the sequence.

With SERIAL the default is something like

CREATE SEQUENCE foo   INCREMENT BY 1   NO MAXVALUE   NO MINVALUE   CACHE 1;

By hand you can define e.g.

CREATE SEQUENCE foo   START n   INCREMENT BY n   MAXVALUE n   MINVALUE n   CACHE 1;

BR,

Aarni
--
Aarni Ruuhimäki