Re: About docbot

От David Fetter
Тема Re: About docbot
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:41:58PM -0700, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Sounds iffy to me.   Lending the hostname makes this an official (or
> officially endorsed) thing.  Would it be branded and such the same
> as  the main website?

Not necessarily.  The current (non-working) site on pgfoundry looks
like this:

    http://docbot.projects.postgresql.org/

Just to be clear, no one has suggested that this include write
operations.  The known ways to write to that the keyword search are:

1.  Be an identified user on freenode and in the docbot's list of
authorized users.

2.  Directly execute SQL on its database.

I'd recommend against adding more write methods.

> Would core www- team people have access to it such as Dave, Magnus,
> Robert etc?

If they really want it.  I have commit bits on -www, and already have
write access as above.

> How is content controlled and would we have any ability to make sure
> the image and content agrees with how the project presents itself?

So far (3 years, give or take) there have been just two controversial
URLs: one for fsm which pointed to venganza.org, which I removed at
Jan Wieck's request on grounds of its political nature, and one for
google which contains an unromantic Saxon-derived word denoting
lovemaking, which is still there as far as I know.

> I pm'ed the bot and it didn't respond to me

pg_docbot takes commands in pm phrased precisely as you would phrase
them in channel.

> so I'm not sure exactly the context of what it does, but if it's
> like rtfm_please, I don't know what it offers that the documentation
> section of the main site doesn't offer.

It offers keyword searches that people have found useful.  People
frequently paste docbot responses into the -general mailing list.

> I don't want to rain on anyones parade, just offering my 2 cents.

Thanks for helping clarify the situation :)

Cheers,

> Gavin
>
> On Sep 21, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >What do we think about the below guys?
> >
> >Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >>Hello Joshua,
> >>we talked today about a docbot subdomain.
> >>The current situation is, that pg_docbot (more precise his instance
> >>pg_docbot_ads) is on 10 PostgreSQL channels. Now we would like to
> >>implement a web interface for the bot to show some information and
> >>to have a search form which would give back results from the same
> >>database the bot is using.
> >>Picking up your idea from earlier today i would like to ask you, if
> >>it is possible to get a subdomain like docbot.postgresql.org pointing
> >>to the server the bot is running on.
> >>Thank you for your help.
> >>Kind regards
> >

> >--
> >
> >   === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> >Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> >   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
> >             http://www.commandprompt.com/

> >TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!