Re: Fixed length data types issue

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Fixed length data types issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:54:01AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >The encoding is set per-database. Even if you need UTF-8 to encode
> >user-supplied strings, there can still be many small ASCII fields in
> >the database. Country code, currency code etc.
>
> ISTM we should revisit this when we get per-column encoding.

I think that if SQL COLLATE gets in we'll get this almost for free.
Collation and charset are both properties of strings. Once you've got a
mechanism to know the collation of a string, you just attach the
charset to the same place. The only difference is that changing charsets
requires recoding, wheres changing collation does not.

I think it'd just become a special case of the Relabel node.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Сообщение: Re: Fixed length data types issue
Сообщение: Re: Fixed length data types issue