Re: On DNS for postgresql.org

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: On DNS for postgresql.org
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* Steve Atkins (steve@blighty.com) wrote:
> If we were playing DNS body part size wars then who has the bigger
> DNS clue might be relevant. We're not, though. Rather I'm saying that
> publicly criticizing people who volunteer services to a project,
> about things that are not related to the services they're providing
> is at best a little impolite.

They provide DNS.  It's about the DNS service they provide being
potentially abusable to DoS and possibly blacklisted (thus causing
non-obvious outage to portions of the network).  Therefore, it's
certainly regarding the services they're providing and how what they're
doing could affect usage of that service by the community.

Now, we're certainly very grateful for the services provided and for the
time spent by the hard working admins to keep everything going.  This
wasn't an attack on them but rather an attempt to bring to their
attention an issue they may not have been aware of and may be quite
happy to look into.  Unfortunately, your insistance that it's bad to be
public about a public service, even after being corrected multiple
times, has made it into an attack which you're trying to defend the
admins against without any call or request from them for you to.
Indeed, they may feel that bringing it up on a community list is the
appropriate and encouraged thing to do when it involves the servers or
service provided to the community.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения