Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 04:16:31PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On the ICU vs. our own library I'm not sure what would be a good thing
> to do - ICU is _LARGE_ and we already have some perfectly fine and
> proven code for things like character conversion or timezone handling in
> the core ...

Well, there's the pros:
- It's faster than glibc
- Patches to do it have already been submitted
- There doesn't exist any other library that does it

I'm not sure the size is that much of an issue, the point being to use
it if it's installed on people's machines. Besides, it not that big,
it'd fit inside one of our WAL segments :)

I think the bigger question is: collation is hard, is anyone here
interested in maintaining such code? If not, we outsource to a group
who *is* willing to maintain it.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения