Re: Autovacuum on by default?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Autovacuum on by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Going back on-list...

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:47:04AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 2006, at 3:19 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > >Nevermind -- it's just that if you vacuum a table which you haven't
> > >touched (insert, update, delete) since the last stats reset, then the
> > >vacuum info isn't recorded because we refuse to create the pgstat
> > >entry
> > >for the table.
> >
> > Have you changed this?
>
> No ...
>
> > ISTM that it should go ahead and create the  pgstat entry...
>
> What for?

While on the surface it makes sense not to have a stat entry for a table
"with no activity" (since no activity means no need to vacuum), there's
2 problems:

This doesn't exactly meet the test of 'least surprise'. If the table's
vacuumed for any reason (even manually), we should record the info.

If there's a bunch of activity on a table but stats are reset before a
vacuum is run on it and then a vacuum is run, the user will still be
left thinking that the table needs to be vacuumed.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net