Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 21 August 2006 14:30, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Robert Treat wrote:
> > My personal recommendation would be to get some type of official
> > commitment that they will support postgresql in the mainline code, and
> > then start sending small patches that fix issues you come up with (as
> > opposed to the one big "here is postgres support" patch).  You can then
> > judge if they are honestly going to support postgresql by how quickly
> > these patches get committed.
>
>    Upon the developer's request, I went through all the .php files in the
> access control directory and made sure that all references to table and
> attribute names were in lower case. I've since learned that this does not
> matter; postgres folds all mixed case names one way and mysql the other, so
> the changes are really not necessary. It seems to be more an issue of using
> mysql-specific extensions and language, some of which may use postgres
> reserved words.

I've worked on a number of these types of projects and these problems aren't
usually to hard to work out technically, it's just a matter of getting the
developer buy in to change code that works on mysql to let it work on
postgresql (and probably other db's as well).

A good example of this is dealing with something like an enum.  You can often
mimic this with constraints or change this to work as a FK lookup
table...neither is too complex (although a mysql user might not know how to
do it) and can usually be done in an easily digestible code change.

--
Robert Treat