Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000

От Kenji Morishige
Тема Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Regarding the DL585 etc boxes from HP, they seem to require external JBOD or
SCSI/SAS enclosures.  Does anyone have any particular preference on how these
units should be configured or speced?  I'm guessing I'll use the onboard SCSI
RAID 1 with the onboard drives for the OS, but will need 2 external channels
for the data and xlog.  Any recommendations there?

Sincerely,
Kenji

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 04:20:19PM +0000, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # jd@commandprompt.com / 2006-08-08 14:49:21 -0700:
> > >I am considering a setup such as this:
> > >  - At least dual cpu (possibly with 2 cores each)
> > >  - 4GB of RAM
> > >  - 2 disk RAID 1 array for root disk
> > >  - 4 disk RAID 1+0 array for PGDATA
> > >  - 2 disk RAID 1 array for pg_xlog
> > >
> > >Does anyone know a vendor that might be able provide such setup?
> >
> > I would look at the HP DL 385 or 585. The 385 is going to max a (2) dual
> > core cpus. The 585 is (4) dual core cpus.
>
>     I don't know about DL385 or DL585, but DL380 seem to go south within
>     1 year of heavy hitting; precisely the Smart Array RAID controllers
>     (4 out of 6 disks suddenly "red"; insert new disks, ooops red as
>     well).
>
>     I've seen this happen several times, and came away with a conclusion
>     that DL380 is sexy, but you don't want to marry it. Then again,
>     maybe the DL385 is different, though I seem to remember that both
>     G3 (Smart Array 5i) and G4 (6i) did this.
>
> --
> How many Vietnam vets does it take to screw in a light bulb?
> You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.
> Cause you weren't THERE.             http://bash.org/?255991

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and