Re: Beginner optimization questions, esp. regarding Tsearch2

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Beginner optimization questions, esp. regarding Tsearch2
Дата
Re: Beginner optimization questions, esp. regarding Tsearch2
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:23:55AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Carl Youngblood wrote:
> >- I noticed that there are six different postmaster daemons running.
> >Only one of them is taking up a lot of RAM (1076m virtual and 584m
> >resident).  The second one is using 181m resident while the others are
> >less than 20m each.  Is it normal to have multiple postmaster
> >processes?
>
> You should have one master backend process and one per connection. PG is
> a classic multi-process designed server.
>
> > Even the biggest process doesn't seem to be using near as
> >much RAM as I have on this machine.  Is that bad?  What percentage of
> >my physical memory should I expect postgres to use for itself?  How
> >can I encourage it to cache more query results in memory?
>
> OK - one of the key things with PostgreSQL is that it relies on the O.S.
> to cache its disk files. So, allocating too much memory to PG can be
> counterproductive.
>
> From your figures, you're allocating about 64MB to work_mem, which is
> per sort. So, a complex query could use several times that amount. If
> you don't have many concurrent queries that might be what you want.
>
> Also, you've allocated 1GB to your shared_buffers which is more than I'd
> use as a starting point.

See the recent thread about how old rules of thumb for shared_buffers
are now completely bunk. With 4G of memory, setting shared_buffers to 2G
could easily be reasonable. The OP really needs to test several
different values with their actual workload and see what works best.