Re: Installing PostgreSQL without a service

От John Purser
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL without a service
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
RPK <rohitprakash123@indiatimes.com> wrote:

> I want to use PostgreSQL for my desktop stand-alone application. I
> don't want to install it as a "Service", but rather I want to start
> it manually.
>
> Please let me know how to proceed.
>
> I also want to know that if I install PostgreSQL this way, how will I
> be able to use pgAdminIII, since it asks for Server Connectivity in
> the begining.
> --
rpk,

PostgreSQL IS a server in a client/server model.  Either it's running
or it's not and if it's not you can't connect to it so neither your
application nor pgadmin would have access.

You can use pg_ctl to start and stop it as needed or access the
postmaster program directly for this.

John Purser