Re: shared_buffer optimization

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: shared_buffer optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:20:01AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I'm not aware of any actual evidence having emerged that it is of any
> value to set shared buffers higher than 10000.

http://flightaware.com

They saw a large increase in how many concurrent connections they could
handle when they bumped shared_buffers up from ~10% to 50% of memory.
Back then they had 4G of memory. They're up to 12G right now, but
haven't bumped shared_buffers up.

Every single piece of advice I've seen on shared_buffers comes from the
7.x era, when our buffer management was extremely simplistic. IMO all of
that knowledge was made obsolete when 8.0 came out, and our handling of
shared_buffers has improved ever further since then. This is definately
an area that could use a lot more testing.