Re: 8.2 features status

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:57:03AM -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:40:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> writes:
> > > And what about compression of on-disk sorting?
> >
> > That's purely a performance issue, which some people seem to want
> > to define as "not a new feature" ... which is not *my* view of
> > what's important ...
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
> >
> From my point of view, some of these new performance features are
> the most important changes in the 8.2 release. We are using other
> databases currently because of performance problems that are going
> to be addressed in this release. If we can use PostgreSQL instead,
> their are new possibilities for reliability and robustness that
> our current database choice will not allow.

The problem with 'performance improvements' from a PR standpoint is that
they're not very sexy unless you've got some numbers to go with them.

"8.2 has many performance improvements" - yawn.

"On average, users have seen 40% performance improvements in 8.2, and in
some cases performance increased over 1000%" - wow!

Have you by chance done any performance testing with HEAD that can be
compared to 8.1?