Re: 8.2 features status

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:03:59PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >

> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > >Not that there's anything wrong with a performance-oriented release
> > >... but if you think that 8.2 is short on features, you'd better get
> > >ready to be disappointed by every future release.
> > >

> > It's a pity that some expectations have been raised about features that
> > we haven't seen patches for, e.g. MERGE and/or some form of UPSERT, and
> > recursive queries. I am not pointing fingers, but I do think we need
> > some way in which the community can ensure that certain goals are met,
> > or at least try to help if things fall in a ditch, rather than just
> > relying on hackers scratching whatever itch they happen to get in
> > splendid isolation and then trying to merge the results.
>
> What we do is when people claim items, we monitor them to be sure they
> get them done for the current release, or at least give it their best
> try.  There is not much more we can do.

Do we? There seems to be improvements to be had here. For example,
someone at OSCon (Josh D maybe) was saying that we'll have MERGE/UPSERT
in 8.2, but apparently we won't.

At best, people will lay claim to TODO items, and the the nebulous group
concious will vaguely remember that someone's working on it; sometimes
remembering who, sometimes even pushing to get it in for the next
release. But there's plenty of room there for things to get forgotten
about (ie: MERGE/UPSERT, which would have been a nice big feature to add
to the list in 8.2).

BTW, while I'm thinking about it, I believe INSERT ... RETURNING is in,
no?