Re: Resurrecting per-page cleaner for btree

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Resurrecting per-page cleaner for btree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 03:59:01PM +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
>
> Can we resurrect the patch proposed by Junji TERAMOTO?
> It removes unnecessary items before btree pages split.
>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00301.php
>
> There was a problem in the patch when we restarted scans from deleted tuples.
> But now we scan pages at-a-time, so the problem is resolved, isn't it?
>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/msg00008.php
>
> I think this feature is independent from the SITC project and useful for
> heavily-updated indexes. If it is worthwhile, I'll revise the patch to
> catch up on HEAD.

Tom's comment about the patch needing better comments still holds. If
nothing else, do the best you can with the comments in English and
someone else can clean the grammar up.

It's also not clear to me if Tom's comment about not deleting LP_DELETE
tuples at-will is still valid or not.