Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Sounds kinda like our discussions:
> You've got to download it. And then you have to go check the website.
> Download some drivers and PLs. You have to check your version
> dependencies. Compile your binaries and/or install them. Probably do
> that once or twice.  It's just so easy. And so simple. I don't know
> why everyone doesn't use PostgreSQL.  Thank God they don't, or then
> they would all be supervillains, wouldn't they? Heh heh.

'k, but, again, this comes to someone (you?) stepping forward and
dedicating the time/energy to developing a 'mega distribution', and being
willing to provide support for it ... see, as soon as you incorporate all
of this as one big package, then ppl will turn to the maintainer of that
'mega package' for their support needs, cause they won't know that pl/Java
is maintained by Thomas Hallgren, or that pl/PHP is maintained by
CommandPrompt, or that ...

But, again, its not a *core* distribution issue, it is a packaging issue

And note that I didn't include 'resources' in the above 'time/energy', as
you *can* use pgfoundry for that ...

Heck, why not building a Unix Installer like the Windows one, bring up a
menu with a list of options to install, and pull in what is needed,
instead of forcing it all on someone?  Neat thing about that: you could
then maintain statistics on what ppl are actually downloading ...

But, as JD pointed out earlier ... there is mammothpostgresql.org already,
which is apparently FOSS, so instead of "yet another distribution" maybe
look into extending that, add an Installation interface over top of it (if
it doesn't already exist), etc ... ?

----