Re: Aim of --enable-thread-safety ?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Aim of --enable-thread-safety ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Alexandra.Dante@bull.net (DANTE Alexandra) wrote:
> > I wonder if this compilation option is really taken into account as
> > PostgreSQL is not multi-threading but multi-processing.
> > I have read that without this option, the libpq won't know anything
> > about threads and may indeed have problems, but could you explain me
> > how this option runs ?
>
> > It is not clear for me the aim of this option in an multi-processing
> > environment...
> > Is it possible to force PostgreSQL to be multi-threaded ?
>
> This option is all about allowing you to have multi-threaded *client*
> applications.
>
> That is, applications that many have multiple threads where threads
> can hold onto database connections.

Uh, the documentation is very clear on the purpose of this option:

       <listitem>
        <para>
         Make the client libraries thread-safe.  This allows
         concurrent threads in <application>libpq</application> and
         <application>ECPG</application> programs to safely control
         their private connection handles.  This option requires adequate
         threading support in your operating system.

Is there something unclear about it?

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us