Re: How to insert .xls files into database

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to insert .xls files into database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
So far I have only got this to work with the Postgres SDBC driver-
http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/index.html
1) Open the Data Source (F4) window in the spreadsheet.
2) Make a connection to the database. I usually do this by opening a table.
This is fairly important, otherwise when you do the import OO will try to
establish connection at the same as it is importing the data and end up
hanging.
3)Select the data in the spreadsheet you want to import. The column headings
will become the field names. NOTE: You want the data to be as plain as
possible. OpenOffice tends to auto format the cell contents i.e changing 1/2
to a typeset version, changing " to true quotes. This introduces format codes
that don't translate well.
4)Drag the selected data to the Tables heading of the appropriate data source.
At this point a dialog form will pop up.
5)Name the table. You will need to schema qualify i.e. public.test_table. Make
sure you select Create a Primary Key. Without the table will be created but
the data will not be imported. This why I use the SDBC driver. The JDBC
driver does not seem to support this step.
6) Select Next. Here you can choose the columns you wish to import.
7) Select Next. Here you can modify the data types of the columns.
8) Select Create. The table should be created and the data inserted.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net