Re: How to insert .xls files into database

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to insert .xls files into database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I guess the solution depends on what is a 'large amount of data'. The most
time consuming part is going to be converting the single data elements at the
top of each sheet into multiple elements. I would create columns for the data
in the sheet. At the same time I would order the columns to match the
database schema. Then it would a matter of cut and paste to fill the columns
with the data. The event id's could be renumbered using Excel's series
generator to create a non repeating set of id's. If the amount of data was
very large it might pay to create some macros to do the work. Once the data
was filled in you would have a couple of choices. One, as mentioned by Ron
would be to use OpenOffice v2 to dump the data into the database. The other
would be to save the data as CSV and use the psql \copy command to move the
data into the table.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net