Re: Idea for vacuuming

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Idea for vacuuming
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:00:38PM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> I like to make sure the vacuum takes place during off peak times, which
> is why I don't use autovacuum.

FWIW, now that there's vacuum_cost_delay that's usually not a very good
strategy. If you have anywhere close to enough load during they day that
runing vacuum would impact things then you're going to end up with
tables and indexes that are horribly bloated because they're not being
vacuumed enough. You'll probably get better overall performance by using
autovacuum and setting vacuum_cost_delay to about 20, depending on your
hardware.