New MySQL Journal

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема New MySQL Journal
Дата
Re: New MySQL Journal
Список pgsql-advocacy
From a mailing list I'm on...

----- Forwarded message
All,

This post is from Sam Flywheel and the new MySQL Journal.

Hello, all:

I am pleased to announce that the MySQL Journal is moving forward.
During the past two weeks, I've been discussing the journal with
MySQL AB, and the plan that's been devised benefits all involved,
including authors, readers, the community, the journal, and MySQL AB.

Let me outline how the journal will operate:

* The name of the magazine is Tabula: The Journal of MySQL
Development. The domain name of the magazine will be
themysqljournal.com. The trademark "MySQL" is being used with the
permission of MySQL AB.

* The magazine will be published monthly and will be distributed
solely as a personalized, password-protected, watermarked PDF.

* Each issue of the magazine will include three feature stories, six
or so columns (TBD), and other content to support the community, such
as calendars, news, puzzles, profiles, interviews, press releases,
software releases, etc.

* Each author must warrant that the material submitted to the journal
is original, unencumbered by copyright restrictions, and has not been
published previously.

* Any previously-published material (whether published online or in
print) used in a contribution to the journal must be used with
written permission or in strict accordance with the material's
governing license.

* Each author retains his or her copyright in the original material
contributed to the journal. Except for the conditions listed below
(points 6-8), the author is free to reuse the material without
limitation.

* Each author grants the journal first serial rights and perpetual
use rights in all forms of media.

* Each author agrees to not publish his or her contribution online or
in another periodical (magazine, technical journal) for sixty (60)
days after the contribution is published and made available to the
public.

* However, authors may repurpose the material freely and at any time
for conferences, books, courses, and lectures, and for use within his
or her organization.

* Thirty (30) days after first publication, MySQL AB has the right to
post each article on its own MySQL Network.

* Subscribers will have early access to all draft articles and will
have the opportunity to comment and contribute. This is a form of
peer review and a perk for subscribers.

* Each author will be compensated for the rights granted above.
Features earn $750 for 3,500-4000 words. Columns earn $500 for 2,500
words. Fees for shorter content, such as Lightning Articles, puzzles,
and tips and tricks will be determined shortly, but would likely be
$50-$100 for 1,000 words or less.

* Annual subscriptions to Tabula will be US$72.00.

* Individual issues and back issues will be available for sale from
the web site for $9.00 each.

* Advertising is accepted and encouraged. A full-page ad is $2,000;
other sizes include half-page (either vertical or horizontal), one-
third page (vertical only), and quarter-page, each priced
proportionally. A text-only ad in the "Marketplace" section, ideal
for classifieds, job postings, and services is $100 for 200 words +
logo.

* All bylines and advertisements may include links and email
addresses. The PDF will be "clickable" to jump to previous material,
other sites, code downloads, and authors' and vendors' web sites.

One caveat: some minimum number of subscribers -- probably above
1,000 -- is needed to warrant the launch of the magazine. If that
minimum is not met, the magazine may be cancelled and all monies will
be refunded to subscribers.

I think this is the big stuff. Again, the MySQL AB connection is a
pleasant addition to the publishing plan. The company would like the
journal to succeed and has been very supportive. For clarity, MySQL
AB is not obligated to fund, participate, subsidize, advertise, or
contribute to the journal. The journal is an independent endeavor,
using the MySQL mark with permission.

What's next?

1. Accept proposals for columns and features and other content.
(Propose something now!)

2. Identify each regular column and its author.

3. Identify at least nine features.

4. Describe the format(s) for lightning articles.

5. Publish the writer's kit.

6. Get the web site up and running.

7. Collect community information.

8. Contact vendors to encourage contributions and advertising.

9. Set deadlines for issue #1 and set a launch date.

10. Get the word out!

The permanent staff of the magazine has considerable experience
editing and producing technical articles. The magazine has already
been designed and looks great! I'll share the mockup soon -- I want
to try and put real names and columns in the mockup.

I know this email is long, but I wanted to try and answer the most
pressing questions that authors and advertisers tend to have. If you
have any questions, please send me email. You are welcome to forward
this to others or post it online to appropriate forums. (Please do!)

Sam

--
Kenneth Hess
(918) 665.8878