Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Folks,

FWIW, the applications where I did direct 32 / 64 comparison were
a) several data warehouse tests, with databases > 100GB
b) computation-heavy applications (such as a complex calendaring app)

And, as others have pointed out, I wasn't comparing generics; I was comparing
Athalon/Xeon to Opteron.  So it's quite possible that the improvements had
nothing to do with going 64-bit and were because of other architecture
improvements.

In which case, why was 64-bit such a big deal?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun