Re: database contest in c't (German IT magazine)

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: database contest in c't (German IT magazine)
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 05:04:10PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 12 June 2006 14:46, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the current edition of the german computer magazine c't the results
> > of the database contest, which they announced last year, has finally
> > been published. It was based on a very simple DVD-Store web application
> > from Dell. [1]
> >
> > Back then I spent some time modifying the original php5 application to
> > use PostgreSQL. I've written some stored procedures in C and optimized
> > the schema at obvious places. I've been short on time, though, and
> > couldn't do everything I wished to do. Most importantly connection
> > pooling didn't seem to make it into the final entry I have submitted. :-(
> >
> > That might be one reason for the disappointing performance result: last
> > place, just before the disqualified entries.  The performance trophy
> > (once again) has gone to the MySQL Benchmark Team... [2]
> >
> > With that result I fear I did a disservice to PostgreSQL. Once again it
> > seems to be just slower than MySQL. I'm sorry for that. Especially
> > because other strengths of PostgreSQL didn't get mentioned.
> >
> > OTOH I at least hacked up something. My entry was the only counting one
> > using PostgreSQL - which is surprising and disappointing me. (The only
> > other PosgreSQL entry from Alvar C.H. Freude unfortunately got
> > disqualified because it was sent in too late [3]). Didn't the PostgreSQL
> > community know about that contest? IMHO it would have been  worthwhile
> > to start a community project and submit an entry. Just to get rid of
> > that 'too-slow'-image PostgreSQL still has.
> >
> > At least I have learned: next time I'll try to start a community project
> > for such a contest!
> >

> If you feel strongly about it, you could still start a community project, then
> get improvements and spread the word.

Yeah, and make sure and mention it here. You'd have almost certainly
gotten volunteers, and possibly support from some of the 'PostgreSQL
companies'.

Сообщение: Re: database contest in c't (German IT magazine)
Сообщение: Re: database contest in c't (German IT magazine)