Re: What is PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

От
Тема Re: What is PostgreSQL 8.0 ??
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> Hi,
> I have trued to find answer this, but because it is
> too simple question
> I dont find any good answer for this simple question
> of mine.
>
> What is this Postgre sql 8.0 progmram ? what is it
> do ?

it is a high quality, free and open source database
server.

> It may hard to believe but somehow I installed this
> program (and I
> think it is
> somekind of fast massive text database records
> handler ?? Am I right

yes, it is a high quality database system.  it might
not work for all applications, but it will definitely
work for the vast majority of application - and work
well.  it doesn't have to be big, but it can be big.

> There was a  spot in installation process were was I
> had to create
> account
> in  PostgreSQL Database Server ? and give it
> password too,
> and somekind of database cluster wich were I create
> a second password.

i don't recall two passwords, but it has been a while
since i installed postgresql.

here are the install instructions - if they don't
help, you can ask specific instructions here.  if you
use windows, you can use this install tutorial...

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

> Is this somekind of service outside of my own
> computer ??

if you installed it on your computer, it runs on your
computer.  it can also be installed on other computers
and, if you have the proper access to that computer,
you can remotely manage the external postgresql
server.

> Im little confused and Im not sure why I actually
> installed this
> program,

we can't help with that.  ;-)  having said this,
though, you did pick a good db to work with - even if
you didn't know it.

> the reason was that I needed someshort text database
> handler or
> something.

postgresql will likely handle your needs like a champ
- and then some.

> But could you please tell me what is this program
> after all ?

it is a very good database server.

> and
> do I have to use it from some outside server ??

no.  if you installed it locally, it runs locally.
you can set up an external computer to run the
postgresql server and manage it from your computer -
so you can do it either way.

> Thanks for your help.

good luck.