Re: What is PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

От Richard Broersma Jr
Тема Re: What is PostgreSQL 8.0 ??
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> I have trued to find answer this, but because it is too simple question
> I dont find any good answer for this simple question of mine.
>
> What is this Postgre sql 8.0 progmram ? what is it do ?

I believe that this link will help with most of your questions.
http://www.postgresql.org/about/

But to over simplify my answer to your question,  PostgreSQL is like/similar to:

Oracle RDMS,
MS SQL server RDMS,
DB2 RDMS,
MySQL,
et. al.

> There was a  spot in installation process were was I had to create
> account
> in  PostgreSQL Database Server ? and give it password too,
> and somekind of database cluster wich were I create a second password.

All of your questions can be answered in the PostgreSQL manual.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/tutorial-start.html

> Is this somekind of service outside of my own computer ??
>

> Im little confused and Im not sure why I actually installed this
> program,
> the reason was that I needed someshort text database handler or
> something.

If you want to know what kinds of things PostgreSQL can do I would search for link about "RDMS."
This link any many like it will explain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDBMS

> But could you please tell me what is this program after all ? and
> do I have to use it from some outside server ??

Postgresql can be configured to work and an server to external client if you configure it that
way.  Or It can be configured to only accept  interal client in the server.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.