Re: SQL compliant interval implementation

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: SQL compliant interval implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brendan,

> Could you elaborate on how it sucked?  Apart from the issue of
> daylight savings which Tom has mentioned, what are these limitations
> that needed to be worked around?

Well, actually, the DST thing was pretty severe -- it made timestamptz
unusable.  That's why we partitioned interval into month/year | day/week |
hour/minute/second/etc.

I personally don't see the benefit of evaluating "1 month" = "30 days", but
I don't see the harm either.   "days" *don't* get rolled up to months,
which is proper partitioned behavior:

postgres=# select interval '180 days';interval
----------180 days
(1 row)

postgres=# select interval '1800 days';interval
-----------1800 days

The only issue comes when you multiply units by a decimal:

postgres=# select interval '11 months' * 0.3;       ?column?
------------------------3 mons 8 days 24:00:00

... which leads to some broken calculations:

select ( interval '11 months' * 0.3 ) / 0.3;        ?column?
--------------------------10 mons 26 days 96:00:00

but anyone who deals in "fractional months" should know that they're
approximating.  Previously, we couldn't get decimal calculations to work
at all.
 > I've been searching through the archives for discussions relating to
> intervals, but haven't come across the one you're describing.  Most
> probably because there have been a LOT of discussions relating to
> intervals.

If I had a link, I'd send it.  But I'd have to do the same searching you're
doing.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus