Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Дата
Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 04:41:20PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Yes, the exeption applies to libreadline, which is why we can deliver
> > psql with libreadline linked on Linux, for example. But we can't on
> > Windows or Solaris.
>
> OK, where do you see this exception?  I have not.

The exception is not relevent in this case. The exception is to allow
GPL applications to work on non-free operating systems. Obviously a
GPL'd application on Windows can never supply the source to the Win32
libraries.

libreadline is not a problem because you can distribute postgresql
compiled with readline and comply with all licences involved
simultaneously. It doesn't work with openssl because the licence
requires things that are incompatable with the GPL.

The openssl faq suggest that you can take advantage of the exception,
which reads:
 However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed
(ineither source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
whichthe executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.

I don't buy that argument, and I'm not the only one. OpenSSL is an
optional part of most Linuxes, so there's no way you can use that
exception.

Have a nice day,