Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:02:50PM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> ??hel kenal p??eval, R, 2006-05-19 kell 14:53, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> >
> > > It's just SELECT count(*) FROM (SELECT * FROM accounts ORDER BY bid) a;
> > > If the tape routines were actually storing visibility information, I'd
> > > expect that to be pretty compressible in this case since all the tuples
> > > were presumably created in a single transaction by pgbench.
> >
> > It's worse than that: IIRC what passes through a heaptuple sort are
> > tuples manufactured by heap_form_tuple, which will have consistently
> > zeroed header fields.  However, the above isn't very helpful since the
> > rest of us have no idea what that "accounts" table contains.  How wide
> > is the tuple data, and what's in it?
>
> Was he not using pg_bench data ?

I am. For reference:

bench=# \d accounts       Table "public.accounts" Column  |     Type      | Modifiers
----------+---------------+-----------aid      | integer       | not nullbid      | integer       | abalance | integer
    | filler   | character(84) |

> > (This suggests that we might try harder to strip unnecessary header info
> > from tuples being written to tape inside tuplesort.c.  I think most of
> > the required fields could be reconstructed given the TupleDesc.)
>
> I guess that tapefiles compress better than averahe table because they
> are sorted, and thus at least a little more repetitive than the rest.
> If there are varlen types, then they usually also have abundance of
> small 4-byte integers, which should also compress at least better than
> 4/1, maybe a lot better.

If someone wants to provide a patch that strips out the headers I can test that
as well.