Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE

От Shelby Cain
Тема Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Yeah, that’s the proper way to handle the issue assuming that sufficient forethought was put into the design of the
database. It becomes trivial to drop a partition part of your weekly/monthly maintenance.

Unfortunately, when dealing with legacy database systems that have grown in a very organic way over a span of 5-10
yearsyou don't have much control over the schema and there is significant inertia present to leave things as they are.
Asan example, the DBA group at the client I'm currently working has their databases managed by IBM global services and
theywill push back on altering a table definition to use partitioning as it costs the organization money to have those
changesput into production.  Having a internal developer use a script to perform such maintenance as a batch process is
considered"free" so you can guess how many such processes have been created over the years.

Regards,

Shelby Cain

Сообщение: Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE
Сообщение: Re: allow LIMIT in UPDATE and DELETE