Re: Contributing code

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Contributing code
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 19 May 2006 01:54, Don Y wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tim Allen <tim@proximity.com.au> writes:
> >>
> >> Just before a release would actually be a bad time to contribute the
> >> code, if you want to get it accepted into PostgreSQL, as the people who
> >> would be competent to review and potentially accept it all tend to be
> >> very busy just before a release.
> >
> > Yeah, I was about to make the same remark.  The other thing we see over
> > and over is that once some idea or code sees the light of day, there are
> > almost always some better ideas offered by someone in the community, and
> > thus you need to budget some time for rework in response to comments.
> >
> > If you're thinking of contributing something major for PG 8.2 (feature
> > freeze this July) it's already very late to not have at least a complete
> > design out there for public comment.
>
> Note this is losing sight of my original question(s):
>     Is it possible to have one of my user defined data types
>     reviewed/critiqued to see if there are things that I am
>     not doing properly?  Or, other things that I should be
>     including?
> In that light, the idea of:
>     let it run in production for a few months; that will find
>     far more *realistic* issues than a casual inspection would!
> makes perfect sense!  I am assuming folks want contributed
> code that 1) has been through some significant testing and
> 2) has been *evaluated* in a real-world environment to find
> which features are missing or clumsy.  His point (my associate)
> is that those of us *needing* these data types are more likely
> to find these problems than someone casually reviewing the
> code or "playing" with it in a toy environment.

You're overlooking some critical parts... one being that you can often get
good feedback just by simple code review.  The other being that making the
code available also open up the amount of people who can also take said code
and run it in thier "real-world" instances and find issues or make
improvements to it.   I recomend posting the code in it's current form and
letting others take a look.  It can always be updated later if you find that
there are changes that need to be made... release early, release often eh?

--
Robert Treat