Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 18:12, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> In any case, there's extensive discussion about this in the -hackers
> archives. IIRC, there is consensus that this would be nice to have but
> no one has cared enough to actually make it happen. There are some
> non-trivial issues since this would mean either completely re-writing
> the table when you do an ALTER or you'd have to be able to divorce the
> catalog representation of a table with the on-disk representation.
> Though there are other advantages to doing the later, it's non-trivial.

I recall back when we actually tried to split physical with logical
representation, but I don't recall anyone trying to do the table rewrite
method. Perhaps there are objections to it but istm it might be worth looking
into... we already do it for type.  Incidentally that is the same method that
mysql uses to implement it (for the table types that will actually do it,
some just ignore your request silently!)

--
Robert Treat