Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Дата
Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Porting MSSQL to PGSQL (Was: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 18 May 2006 12:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Personally, I'd go after MSSQL before I bothered with MySQL.   Sure, let's
> make *migration* easier for those who wake up and smell the BS, but
> migration can (and probably should) be one-way.

If you want to get users to swtich to your software from your competitors, you
have to eliminate barriers, and a big one for any database is getting locked
into a specific one.  People aren't going to take the time to try switching
to postgresql if they can't easily make it back to thier former database.
It's one of the reasons why PostgreSQL's standards compliance is so
important; if you want to swtich to a new database, your best bet is to give
PostgreSQL a shot, because even if you don't like it, we're not going to try
and trap you into our software with bunches of non-standard knobs. Low
barrier to exit == low barrier to entry.

--
Robert Treat

Сообщение: Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax
Сообщение: Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax