Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:33:56AM +0100, Peter Wilson wrote:
> The BSD license does allow others to create a closed-source project from
> your code - but my view is that isn't too important. You'd be the natural
> port of call if they wanted consultancy on how to do that.

I'd argue that if you can't compete against that then you have much
bigger problems, especially since the OSS world tends to take a pretty
dim view on 'hostile takeovers' of OSS code.

In any case, I believe there's other licenses that protect against
someone closing your code. I *thought* the MPL was one, but maybe not.
Perhaps Apache's license does. In any case I'd be very careful with any
license that comes out of FSF, since it's pretty clear what their views
on commercial software are...