Re: GUI Interface

От Christian Kratzer
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>> Also most DBAs are not hard core OSS programmers and anyone coming
>>> from a commercial system is more than likely used to running the
>>> admin tools on windows.
>>
>> We have a whole department of DBAs, *none* of whom have Microsoft on
>> their desktops.
>>
>> Further, the Big, Important Systems that we administer consciously
>> hide behind firewalls such that the user interface Shall Be Usable Via
>> SSH.
>>
>> Purty graphical tools just don't appear on our radar as being
>> interesting.
>
> well, ssh has for a long time the option to forward ports to
> you. So this isnt really an argument pro/con gui tools :-)
>
> Personally I find psql for some and pgadmin3 for other
> tasks used the same time a good couple.

I have yet to see a graphical tool that will manage our schema and
schema change scripts as efficiently and reliably as vim and cvs.

We do sometimes use ssh port forwarding to run scripts,reports and
schema changes on remote databases only accessible via ssh.

I only use pgadmin3 if I need a quick look at a database I am not
familiar with. If I need a deeper look I dump the schema and browse
it with vim.

Greetings
Christian

--