Re: Namespace issues

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Namespace issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:29:27AM -0700, Don Y wrote:
> Given a user defined type foo...
> I've created several casts to/from foo and built-in types.
> I had adopted a naming convention of:
>   baz foo_to_baz(foo);
>   foo foo_from_baz(baz);
>
> But:

<snip>

> I don't see how I can do this in my declarations.  E.g.,
> if I have
>   baz = {int4, text, float8, ...}
> then I end up with several (C) functions all named foo()
> but each taking a different argument type (baz).  Since
> C doesn't support more than a single namespace for functions,
> this just won't work.
>
> What am I failing to see, here?

That the name of the function in C doesn't have to be the same as the
name of the function in SQL. You can even define many SQL functions
that all refer to the same C function.

So in your C file yo call them:

cast_foo_to_baz()

and in the SQL you declare as just:

baz()

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

От: Don Y
Сообщение: Re: error handling in cast functions for user defined types